Bee Balm Waxed Canvas Backpack - PDF sewing pattern
The Bee Balm Waxed Canvas Backpack is a medium sized backpack with 2 exterior zippered pockets on both sides of the bag, a drawstring closure that uses either grommets or a drawstring casing and a flap with a side release buckle closure.
Inside the bag are 3 slip pockets and 1 zippered pocket. This bag is turned through the bottom of the interior zippered pocket.
The straps are made using 1" wide webbing in the material of your choice: cotton, nylon, polypropylene, etc.
Although the pattern is geared towards using waxed canvas as your main exterior fabric, you can also use waterproof canvas, cork or vinyl using the same instructions. If you would like to make the exterior entirely out of cotton fabric, there are some guidelines included to help you make the necessary changes to cutting and interfacing.
Included in this pattern:
- photo diagrams outlining all parts of the bag's exterior and interior
- cutting chart
- a set of guidelines and best practices for working with waxed canvas
- labels for your cut pieces
- a free video tutorial (see link to first video below)
Exterior fabric:1/2 yard Exterior fabric (waxed canvas) (58” W)
16” W x 12” H Contrast fabric
3/4 yard Lining fabric (44” W)
Interfacing:3/4 - 1 yard Fusible woven interfacing (45” wide)
13” W x 11” H Firm sew-in interfacing (ex: Peltex 70)
7.5” W x 11.5” H Decovil Light
1/2 yard Fusible fleece (45” wide)
Notions and Supplies:
103” or 3 yards of 1” wide webbing
(2) 9” zippers or 9” zipper tape (#4.5, #5) for exterior zipper
(1) 9” zipper (#3, #4.5, #5) or 11” of zipper tape for interior
(8) 12mm or 1/2” inner diameter grommets (optional)
40” of cording (4-6mm) or bias tape
(2) 1” rectangle rings
(2) 1” rectangle slides
(1) Side release buckle (1 1/8 wide x 2 1/4” long) to fit 1” strap
Other: Fray check, Fabric glue (ex: fabri-tac), rivets
MEASUREMENTS: 10 5/8” W x 12.25” H x 6.25” D
SEWING EXPERIENCE: The Bee Balm is not very difficult and it is best suited to an intermediate bag maker but confident beginners could probably manage while following along with the video tutorial. It will probably take between 4-6 hours to make this bag.