I recently received these pretty tassel cap zipper pulls and wanted to write a brief tutorial on how to make your own tassel.
You don't need a lot of supplies to make your own tassel pull. Here's what you will need:
- one tassel pull which can be purchased here
- a small piece of non-fraying material such as cork or vinyl/faux leather
- glue ( I used fabric-tac for the tassel and E6000 to glue the tassel in the cap)
- a small screwdriver
- a ruler and rotary cutter
Let's get started!
1. First you'll want to cut a piece of cork/vinyl that is 3.5" wide x 6" tall. Note: you can change the height as you wish to make your tassel shorter or longer but the width should remain 3.5".
2. On the wrong side of your cork/vinyl, draw a line all the way across about 1/2" from the top edge
3. Using a ruler and your rotary cutter, cut 1/8" wide strips from the bottom edge up to the line you just drew. I highly recommend using a clear quilting ruler if you have one because it allows you to cut more precisely. Cut all the way across but do not cut into the 1/2" portion at the very top.
4. Spread a thin layer of fabric glue along the 1/2" portion at the top where you did not cut. I used Fabri-Tac glue.
5. Roll the tassel tightly so there are no gaps and the top edge is even. It should fit nicely into the tassel cap. I've included a photo of the view from the top of the rolled portion.
6. Use a hole punch and punch a small hole about 1/4" from the top glued end of the tassel. I used the smallest punch on a rotary hand punch tool. Do not make your hole too big or your tassel screw will be loose.
7. Apply glue to the bottom of your tassel cap and spread evenly. I used E6000 glue. Be careful not to add too much glue.
8. Insert the tassel into the cap, making sure the hole you punched in the tassel is aligned with the hole in the tassel cap. Insert the screw and use your small screwdriver to fasten the screen until it is all the way in and through the tassel.
Slide your pull onto your zipper tape and you're done! Pictured above is my black zipper with iridescent coil.